Convention and Competition
Friday, October 22 - Sunday, October 24, 2021
2020 Protocol, Rules and Fees
Safety Protocol and Venue information:
A current Encore DCS Waiver must be signed and submitted prior to participation. Teachers, these will be emailed to you and are also available to download from your online registration account. Students will not be allowed to participate unless a waiver has been submitted.
Students and their immediate family members should be free from any COVID-19 related symptoms such as shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, congestion and/or fever.
Guests must enter the building by using the downstairs doors near the parking lot. Guests can exit via the upstairs or downstairs doors.
The Convention Center will conduct a hands free temperature check of every person that enters the venue. This is a requirement by the venue and will pertain to all guests, staff members, and employees.
Due to local mandates, masks are required in the building. The only exception is for dancers when they are participating in class or competing on stage.
Dancers should bring personal water bottles labeled with their name. Refillable water stations will be available in the venue, but cups will not be provided.
NO outside food or beverages are allowed in the venue (other than personal water bottles for dancers.) The convention center is very strict about this policy and will ask you to throw away outside food if they see it. Concessions will be available in the venue for your convenience!
Teacher wristbands and nametags have been mailed to studios that have more than 5 participants. These should be distributed to students before arriving at the venue in order to limit congestion and congregating in the lobby. This will eliminate the on-site registration process for many and will allow a more organized and controlled process at the event. For students that are coming on their own or studios that have less than 5 participants, materials can be picked up in the lobby on Friday from 3:00-9:00 PM or Saturday starting at 7:45 AM.
When arriving at the venue students should report to the ballroom assigned for their age group. Individual students do not need to check in at the registration desk. Any registration issues should be handled by teachers.
Ballroom capacity will be limited to 30% in each room. The number of dancers in each ballroom will be limited to ensure that dancers have personal space and to allow for social distancing. Students should only bring what is necessary for class in the ballroom. Signs with studio names will be posted in each room for dancers from the same studio to remain together when entering the room. This will allow each studio a designated area against the wall to keep all of their belongings together.
Due to changes in the Convention Centers COVID restriction, no parent observers are allowed in the classrooms. Teachers will receive a complimentary band to check on students in each class.
The schedule has been adjusted to separate Warm Ups by age level for each ballroom. In addition, our Scholarship presentations and Awards Ceremonies will be separated by age divisions in order to limit capacity.
Due to the separation of awards ceremonies, dancers must remain in their registered age level for classes and solo competition. If a teacher chooses to bump a participant up an age level for classes they must also compete their solo in the same age division. Students should participate in classes based on their age as of October 2, 2020 and must also compete their solo in the same age division.
All students are eligible for scholarships! Faculty will select students to receive full and partial scholarships to Encore Extreme and Encore DCS competitions. These awards will be announced on Sunday. Teachers can pick up all scholarships in the lobby following the awards ceremony.
The main focus of “The Audition Process” is to educate these young dancers on how to behave, look, act and perform during an audition. Students will learn audition etiquette, tips, combinations, and will participate in a “mock” audition process. This is not a Dream Team audition, but students will certainly be observed for Dream Team consideration and scholarships.
Dream Team Selection:
Encore DCS is proud to offer an amazing opportunity for elite dancers to be cast in a one-of-a-
kind promotional video and become a member of the Encore DCS Dream Team! All Encore Extreme participants age 9 and over are eligible to be chosen for the Dream Team.
All faculty members at Encore Extreme will collaborate and choose the new Dream Team members based primarily on the following:
-Jazz, Hip Hop and Tap Technique
-Ability to stand out in the crowd
-Commercial look/feel and potential to work with a camera
-Positive attitude and hard work ethic
-The styles of jazz, hip hop and tap are emphasized because these are the genres highlighted in our video. Dream Team members are also ambassadors of our company and the faculty will look for students who are welcoming to others and courteous/encouraging in class.
Dream Team announcements will be made at the Junior, Teen, and Senior Awards Ceremonies on Sunday. Students chosen for this experience will be choreographed, staged and featured in a video to create a new advertising campaign for Encore DCS in Columbia, SC January 16-17, 2021.
General Competition Guidelines:
As always, we offer free livestream of all performances and awards ceremonies! We invite and encourage family and friends to watch online, especially the elderly, high-risk individuals or those with underlying health conditions.
Packets with group awards and scholarships will be available for pick up in the lobby following awards ceremonies.
We ask that only one adult per child is in the dressing room, with no additional siblings or friends. If possible, we encourage students over the age of 12 to help each other with quick changes so we can limit the number of people in the dressing room.
All competition music should be uploaded to your Dance Comp Genie account prior to the event. We will no longer accept USB or CD’s at the event.
Photos and videos of all routines are included with entry fees and can be accessed from home within five days following the competition via digital download. Parents will not need to view or purchase photos or videos at the event.
Solo Competition Guidelines:
Encore Extreme Solo Showdown Competition will be held on Friday and Saturday. Each participant will receive a FREE Headshot from Exulting Images. Winners will be announced in our Closing Shows on Sunday where our new Mr. and Miss Encore Extreme will be announced along with the presentation of our Dream Team!
- One solo per student. Soloists must participate in the convention in order to compete a solo. All soloists will compete in the age division in which they fall on the first day of the event and all students will compete in the same level. Students must take class and compete in the same age group.
- Each soloist receives a free digital headshot from Exulting Images.
- Soloists will be awarded medals and adjudicated placements on Sunday at the Closing Show and Awards ceremony for their age group.
- Title winners in each age division (Mini, Petite, Junior, Teen and Senior) will be announced at the awards ceremony on Sunday afternoon and will receive a Trophy, Crown, and Banner.
- Overall Mr. and Miss Encore Extreme will receive a crown, banner, trophy and a free solo entry to any Encore DCS Regional Competition.
Group Competition Guidelines:
Encore Ovation Challenge will feature the top groups from each participating studio battling for the ultimate title and $1000 cash prize. Each studio is invited to bring up to TWO duet/trios or group routines in each age division and compete for the title of “Encore Extreme Champion” on Saturday night. Awards will immediately follow group competition. An Overall Winner in each age division will be announced as well as the Overall Encore Extreme Champion!
- Ages for Encore Extreme groups are based on January 1, 2020.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Two entries per studio for each age division (Mini 5 and under, Petite 8 and under, Junior 9-11, Teen 12-14, and Senior 15-18).
- Each group will receive LIVE judges feedback from one judge immediately following their performance. After the routine has been completed please instruct students to immediately line up across the front of the stage to receive their feedback!
- Duet/trios, small groups, large groups and super groups are welcome. (Productions are excluded.)
- We kindly ask that only one parent or representative per child attend the group awards ceremony on Saturday night.
Each student in the solo competition will receive a free headshot from Exulting Images. All other participants can receive a headshot for $20. The headshot station will be open on Friday night and Saturday night (times listed on the schedule) and is first come, first served. To sign up, visit the photography booth at the event and complete a quick registration. Headshots will be delivered directly to your phone within minutes.
Encore Extreme Rules and Fees
4 levels of classes: (age as of the first day of the event)
MINI/PETITE– ages 8 and under JUNIOR – ages 9-11
TEEN – ages 12 -14 SENIOR – ages 15 and up
MINI/PETITE $175 JUNIOR, TEEN AND SENIOR: $250
TEACHERS $200 OBSERVER PASSES (limited) $40
*Pay in full by August 21 to receive a 10 percent discount!
*Competition fees for solos and groups available to teachers and studio directors only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your studio account for fee information or login to Dance Comp Genie and choose “View Fees” on the right side of the screen.
*Receive one free teacher convention pass for every 10 students registered!
*Register 50 or more paying students and receive a free hotel room for two nights!
2020 ENCORE Extreme - Additional Rules and Regulations
- All entries should be completed via online registration at encoredcs.com at least 28 days prior to the event. Registration is accepted on a first come first served basis and is limited to the amount of competition time available. Many events reach capacity well before the deadline and any entries exceeding the limit will be turned away.
- Payment by check can be mailed to 203 West Butler Street Lexington, SC 29072. Credit card payments are accepted online with a 2% service charge. Money orders are not accepted via postal mail.
- A 50% deposit of total entry fees must be received 28 days prior to the event. Full payment must be received at least 14 days prior to the competition date or a $10.00 late fee per entry will be added. A $25 fee will apply to all returned checks. Returned checks will automatically be turned over to an outside Collections Agency and/or the Solicitor’s office. Absolutely no personal checks for entry fees will be taken at the event and any unpaid entries will not be allowed to perform.
- No refunds of fees will be given after the deadline date. A credit for another regional competition, Grand Finals, or Encore Extreme will be issued to the studio in the event that a dancer is unable to perform. COVID Refund Procedures: If an event is cancelled by the venue or by Encore DCS, the studio will receive a full refund. If payment was made by credit card, the 2% service fee will be deducted from the refund.
- We do not accept independent entries. Independent dancers can register for Encore Extreme convention classes, but must be registered under a studio name if competing in the solo competition.
- Gift certificates and scholarships for Encore DCS and Encore Extreme are NOT interchangeable and can only be used at the event listed on your certificate.
- All Parents must sign a new Waiver in order for their child to participate. This can be downloaded from your dance comp genie account and should be submitted with payment two weeks prior to the event.
- Encore DCS reserves the right to change the number of competition days based on registration received and is not liable for refunds based on schedule changes.
- Dancers should be ready to compete at least one hour ahead of their scheduled performance time.
- Unless arranged ahead of time, a 5-point deduction will be made for any routines not performed within three numbers of the scheduled order.
- Music should be uploaded to the studio’s Dance Comp Genie account at least two days prior to the first day of the event. A backup form of music is always required. We recommend iPads, iPods, computers, or USB drives for backup and prefer not to use cell phones.
- Professionals or teachers are not allowed to participate in the competition portion of Encore Extreme. A professional is defined as any person 20 years of age or older who is or has ever been a teacher, assistant teacher, or professional dancer.
- Soloists may not compete against themselves in the same category. All other dancers in duet/trios, groups, and productions may enter as many categories as they wish as long as they do not compete against themselves in the exact same groups. (Soloists are limited to one solo at Encore Extreme conventions.)
- A 10-point deduction will be made for routines that are not completed. This applies to dancers that re-perform their routines after a false start unless the re-performance is caused by a technical error or other uncontrollable event not attributable to the dancer’s performance.
- Small, freestanding props are allowed but must be easily moved into the theater and on & off stage without disrupting the competition in progress. Fire, water, or excessive littering is not allowed on stage and any debris should be removed by the studio within 30 seconds following the routine. Human props are allowed, but any person on stage must be registered in the event and their age should be included in the average.
- No lighting changes are allowed at Encore Extreme.
- We at Encore DCS pride ourselves on running a family friendly competition. If every judge on the panel feels that a routine is inappropriate for the age a 10 point deduction will be made.
- Teachers and studio directors should bring any question or challenge of routines or rules to the attention of the Encore DCS director in charge prior to the respective awards ceremony.
- Encore DCS provides free livestream when possible. Please note that competition location and wireless signals affect our ability to provide this service. It’s important to let friends and family watching the competition know that the competition may run ahead of schedule.
- Photography and video recording is always prohibited! Videotaping and photography of any kind is not allowed in order to protect choreography and due to our contracts with professional videographers and photographers. Personal cameras, video cameras, and any other recording devices are prohibited in the auditorium.
- All dancers, teachers, and guests are expected to display good sportsmanlike conduct to all participants at all times. Encore DCS does not discriminate, but does reserve the right to refuse entrance to any competitor, spectator, studio, or individual that has been deemed to exhibit unsportsmanlike behavior.
- Only performers, teachers, and staff are allowed on stage before, during and after a competition.
- All awards and music should be picked up at the conclusion of the event and will not be mailed. All music may be picked up at the registration table by teachers or studio directors at the conclusion of Petite and Junior competition and again at the conclusion of Teen and Senior competition. Judges audio critiques and score sheets will be downloaded to Dance Comp Genie after the event and will be emailed to teachers within three days of the event. Score sheets and video critiques will be available in the studios Dance Comp Genie account.
- All teachers, parents and participants give Encore DCS the right to use their photo or video with any advertising or media campaign. By performing at Encore DCS events, all competitors consent to the use of photographs and/or video footage for promotional purposes, which may include social media and streaming of routines online.
- Gift certificates that are awarded to groups can only be redeemed for group entry fees at future Encore DCS events.
- Encore DCS and the hosting venue are not responsible for personal injury or property loss to either contestants or spectators. Performers in a dance competition are subject to risks which can include, but are not limited to sprains, pulled muscles and broken bones. Participation in Encore DCS events indicates the acceptance of these types of risks and participants and spectators agree that they will not hold Encore DCS, its officers, employees or staff responsible for injuries or illnesses contracted by them while in attendance of any Encore event.
- Rules and regulations are subject to change and are always available at encoredcs.com.
with the stars in 2021
Three days of master classes in Jazz, Hip Hop, Contemporary, Tap, Ballet, Musical Theatre, and more! Also featuring workshops, classes and networking events for teachers AND Jazz Funk classes for parents!
Experience our exciting group competition with live judges’ feedback for all routines and a $1000 cash prize!
Compete for the title of Miss and Mister Encore Extreme! All soloists will receive a free headshot!
Caroline Lewis Jones
Caroline Lewis-Jones from South Carolina, has been dancing for over 28 years. At the age of 18 she moved to New York City where she performed for six years. Her credits include the VMA’s with NSYNC, the Latin Grammy Awards, WNBA National Commercial, a French Energy Commercial, Disney Industrials, Britany Spears and Madonna “Me Against the Music” video, MTV’s Body Rock Fitness Video, and more.
Beginning his teaching career at age 15, Nick Dinicolangelo has enjoyed over 2 decades of being one of the country’s premiere tap dance educators. Nick was a charter member and dance captain of the New Jersey Tap Ensemble, as well as an original member of Mike Minery's TAPAHOLICS. Currently, Nick is entering his 16th season on the Adrenaline Dance convention tour and feels blessed to travel to over 20 cities per year spreading his love and enthusiasm for tap dance.
Entertainment industry entrepreneur, award-winning choreographer and infectious educator, Cassie Sweeney is a born innovator. Constantly inspired to create new movement as owner and artistic director of CaRu Entertainment, Cassie's choreography is nationally recognized for its blend of fem funk, hip hop, and street jazz with constant emphasis and focus on self-confidence and bold performance artistry, and can be seen on the performance stage, on TV and film, and in master classes all over the country.
Christopher Robbins is a born South Carolinian. A Member of Actors Equity Union, Chris has worked professionally in entertainment for over 24 years and his spectrum ranges from Singer, Dancer, Actor, Producer, Director, and Choreographer. Chris has worked with artists/choreographers such as Donny & Jimmy Osmond, Darius Rucker, Justin Timberlake, Kelly Rowland, Jennifer Holiday, Kristine W, The Pointer Sisters, Lee Greenwood, Caroline Lewis Jones, Gil Stroming, Adrienne Canterna.
Originally from Clearfield, PA, Trevor Sones Received a BA degree in Dance from Mercyhurst University. National Tour Credits: CATS, Beauty and the Beast. TV/Film Credits: ZIPS Dry Cleaners, The Knot, “Step Up 3D”, Good Morning America, “Do You Dance, Ms. Parker?”. Other credits include working extensively with Royal Caribbean in “Hairspray”, “MAMMA MIA” (Dance Captain), “GREASE” (Associate Choreographer), “Name That Tune” (Associate Choreographer), “Bada Bing Bada Boom” (Director).
Ashley Becker-Payne hails from Buffalo, NY holding a B.A. in Dance Performance from the prestigious Point Park University. As an international adjudicator, professional dancer and choreographer, Ashley has studied and taught throughout New York City, Miami, and now Chicago. As a performer, Ashley has appeared in film, television, concert dance and theatre productions. Ashley’s first standout roll was in the University production of Contact where she was a featured dancer and served as dance captain..
Susan Hancock was born and raised in Columbia, South Carolina and began her ballet training at the Calvert-Brodie School of Dance. In 1989 Susan entered the School of American Ballet, the official school of the New York City Ballet and studied there for three consecutive summers. In 1992 she was invited to stay for the winter term, but instead decided upon North Carolina School of the Arts. From there Ms. Hancock went on to join The Los Angeles Classical Ballet in 1994.
Ashley Moore started dancing at the age of three while growing up in South Florida and is highly trained in all styles of dance. She began her training in local studios and has had opportunities and support through many dance conventions and worldwide Competitions around the country with impeccable training by many influential teachers. Ashley is known for her Commercial and Stage work, but has been trained as a competitive dancer in all styles including Ballroom.
Charlene Chi-Chi Smith
Growing up in a place as culturally rich as the South Bronx, Charlene T. Smith’s upbringing was deeply rooted in the sounds of funk, soul, disco, gospel, hip hop, reggae and Latin music. It is difficult to be removed from such an abundant background and not take pieces of it with you, implanting them in everything you do and everywhere you go. As a teenager in suburban MD, Charlene became “Chi-Chi”, a moniker given to her by her cousin because of her city girl flair and (at the time) blatant South Bronx accent.
Encore DCS is proud to offer an amazing opportunity for elite dancers to be cast in a one-of-a-kind promotional video and become a member of the Encore DCS Dream Team!
Students were selected at Encore Extreme and this January each dancer was choreographed, staged and featured in a video to create a new advertising campaign for Encore DCS. This opportunity gives up and coming stars the chance to taste what the world of entertainment has to offer with a “dream job” experience.
Professional lighting, staging, make-up, choreography and directing are just some of the many facets of this experience! Our new video is choreographed by Christopher Robbins and Hiliarie Covington. The video features many styles of dance and is the perfect opportunity to showcase well rounded dancers.
Interested in becoming a member of the next Encore DCS Dream Team? “Shooting Star” tickets will be awarded at Grand Finals. This ticket will give select dancers a free convention fee at Encore Extreme and guarantees their spot on the Dream Team. The remaining Dream Team members will be chosen at Encore Extreme this fall. Don’t miss out on the “Dream Team” cutting edge experience only offered by Encore DCS!
Hilton Columbia Center
924 Senate Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Grab and go Breakfast
Parking is $14 a day
Hampton Inn Historic District
822 Gervais St
Columbia SC 29201
Grab and go Breakfast
Parking is $14 a day
Congratulations to the 2019 Encore Extreme Dancers
Mister Encore Extreme
Coastal Performing Arts Academy
Miss Encore Extreme
Pat’s School of Arts
Senior Miss Encore Extreme