Convention and Competition
Friday October 2 - Sunday October 4, 2020
|3:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Early Registration - downstairs in lobby
(Studio directors and teachers, please pick up registration packets at this time.)
|6:00 PM – 9:00 PM||Photographer available for headshots|
|5:30 PM - 6:30 PM||Petite and Junior Turns and Leaps with Ashley|
|6:45 PM - 7:45 PM||Petite and Junior Jazz with Brandon|
|5:30 PM - 6:30 PM||Teen and Senior Jazz with Brandon|
|6:45 PM - 7:45 PM||Teen and Senior Turns and Leaps with Ashley|
|3:00 PM -until||Mini, Petite and Junior Solo Competition & Adjudicated Awards Teen Solo Competition & Adjudicated Awards|
|7:30 AM - 8:10 AM||Registration - downstairs in lobby|
|8:15 AM - 8:55 AM||Junior, Teen and Senior Warm Up and Faculty Intros on Stage!|
|5:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Photographer available for headshots in lobby|
|9:45 AM - 10:55 AM||Warm up and Musical Theater||CAROLINE|
|11:00 AM- 11:45 PM||Contemporary||ASHLEY|
|11:55 AM - 12:45 PM||Ballet||SUSAN|
|12:45 PM - 1:40 PM||Lunch Break|
|1:45 PM - 2:40 PM||Hip Hop||CASSIE|
|2:45 PM - 3:30 PM||Jazz||ASHLEY|
|9:00 AM - 9:50 AM||Ballet||SUSAN|
|10:00 AM - 10:50 AM||Hip Hop||CASSIE|
|11:00 AM - 11:50 AM||Musical Theater||TREVOR|
|11:50 AM - 12:45 PM||Lunch Break|
|12:45 PM - 1:40 PM||Jazz Funk||BRANDON|
|1:45 PM - 2:45 PM||Contemporary||CAROLINE|
|2:50 PM - 3:45 PM||Lyrical||CHRIS|
|4:00 PM - 4:45 PM||Male Class (for all Levels)||BRANDON|
|4:45 PM - 5:15 PM||Male Partnering Skills (all levels)||CHRIS|
|9:00 AM - 9:50 AM||Musical Theater||TREVOR|
|10:00 AM - 10:50 AM||Tap||NICK|
|11:00 AM - 11:50 AM||Jazz||BRANDON|
|11:50 AM - 12:45 PM||Lunch Break|
|12:45 PM - 1:40 PM||Contemporary||CAROLINE|
|1:45 PM - 2:45 PM||Ballet||SUSAN|
|2:50 PM - 3:45 PM||Hip Hop||CASSIE|
|9:00 AM - 9:50 AM||Tap||NICK|
|10:00 AM - 10:50 AM||Ballet||SUSAN|
|11:00 AM - 11:50 AM||Contemporary||CAROLINE|
|11:50 AM - 12:45 PM||Lunch Break|
|12:45 PM - 1:40 PM||Hip Hop||CASSIE|
|1:45 PM - 2:45 PM||Jazz||BRANDON|
|2:50 PM - 3:45 PM||Musical Theatre||TREVOR|
|Exhibition Hall (Downstairs)|
|4:00 PM-Until||Group Competition and Awards
Senior Solos & Adjudicated Awards
|9:00 AM - 9:45 AM||Breakfast Meet and Greet for Teachers|
|10:00 AM - 10:45 AM||Barre Class for Teachers (bring a yoga mat)||ASHLEY|
|11:00 AM - 12:00 PM||FREE Parent Hip Hop/Jazz "Fun"k||CASSIE|
|12:15 PM - 1:15 PM||Tap Technique for Teachers||NICK|
|3:00 PM - 3:45 PM||Ballet Barre for Teachers||SUSAN|
|4:00 PM - 4:30 PM||Dream Team Hip Hop Rehearsal||HILIARIE/CHRIS|
|9:30 PM - 11:00 PM||Teacher After Party|
|7:30 AM||Doors Open|
|9:00 AM-9:30 AM||Warm Up and Stretching||SUSAN|
|9:30 AM-10:15 AM||Tap||NICK|
|10:20 AM - 11:00 AM||Musical Theater||TREVOR|
|11:15 AM - 12:00 PM||The Audition Process and Rehearsal (no observers)||ASHLEY/SUSAN|
|12:00 PM - 12:45 PM||Lunch Break|
|12:45 PM- 1:15 PM||Petite Showcase in the Exhibiton Hall Downstairs
(announcement of Petite Miss and Mister Encore Extreme)
|8:00 AM-9:25 AM||Warm Up and Stretching/JAZZ||CASSIE|
|9:35 AM - 10:10 AM||Ballroom||CHRIS|
|10:20 AM - 11:20 AM||Tap||NICK|
|11:20 AM - 12:00 PM||Lunch Break|
|12:00 PM - 1:00 PM||The Audition Process (closed to observers)||ASHLEY/SUSAN|
|1:15 PM||Rehearsal on stage|
|8:00 AM - 8:30 AM||Warm Up and Stretching||ASHLEY|
|8:30 AM - 9:30 AM||Contemporary||CHRIS|
|9:45 AM - 11:15 AM||The Audition Process (closed to observers)||BRANDON / SUSAN / CASSIE|
|11:30 AM - 12:15 PM||Ballroom (move to Senior Room Upstairs)||CHRIS|
|12:15 PM - 1:15 PM||Lunch Break|
|1:15 PM||Rehearsal on stage (closed to observers)|
|8:00 AM - 8:30 AM||Warm Up and Stretching||CAROLINE|
|8:30 AM - 10:00 AM||The Audition Process (closed to observers)||CAROLINE / TREVOR / ASHLEY|
|10:15 AM - 11:15 AM||Contemporary||CHRIS|
|11:30 AM - 12:15 PM||Ballroom for Teens and Seniors||CHRIS|
|12:15 PM - 1:15 PM||Lunch Break|
|1:15 PM||Rehearsal on stage (closed to observers)|
|9:15 AM - 10:15 AM||Pilates for Teachers (bring a yoga mat)||ASHLEY|
|10:30 AM - 11:00 AM||Nutrition class for Teachers and Parents||CAROLINE|
|11:15 AM - 12:00 PM||Teachers: Cross Training and Preventative Exercises||CAROLINE|
|12:15 PM - 1:15 PM||Tap Combos for Teachers||NICK|
|1:15 PM - 2:00 PM||FREE Parent Hip Hop/Jazz "Fun"k||CASSIE|
|Exhibition Hall (Downstairs)|
|1:15 PM||Rehearsal on stage (closed to Observers)|
|2:30 PM||Junior, Teen and Senior Final Showcase including Class performances, Scholarships, and Awards!
Crowning of Mr. & Miss Encore Extreme and Announcement of Dream Team!
2020 Rules and Fees
4 levels of classes:
MINI/PETITE– ages 8 and under JUNIOR – ages 9-11
TEEN – ages 12 -14 SENIOR – ages 15 and up
MINI/PETITE $175 JUNIOR, TEEN AND SENIOR: $250
TEACHERS $200 OBSERVER PASSES $40
*Pay in full by August 21 to receive a 10 percent discount!
*Competition fees for solos and groups available to teachers and studio directors only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your studio account for fee information.
*Receive one free teacher convention pass for every 10 students registered!
*Register 50 or more paying students and receive a free hotel room for two nights!
Solo Showdown Guidelines:
Encore Extreme Solo Showdown Competition will be held on Friday and Saturday. Each participant will receive a FREE Headshot from Exulting Images. Winners will be announced in our Closing Show on Sunday where our new Mr. and Miss Encore Extreme will be announced along with the presentation of our Dream Team!
- One solo per student. Soloists must participate in the convention in order to compete a solo. All soloists will compete in the age division in which they fall on the first day of the event and all students will compete in the same level.
- Each soloist receives a free digital headshot from Exulting Images.
- Soloists will be awarded medals and adjudicated placements.
- Title winners in each age division (Mini, Petite, Junior, Teen and Senior) will be announced at the awards ceremony on Sunday afternoon and will receive a Trophy, Crown, and Banner.
- Overall Mr. and Miss Encore Extreme will receive a crown, banner, trophy and a free solo entry to any Encore DCS Regional Competition.
- Register online at encoredcs.com for online registration through your Dance Comp Genie account starting July 1! Pay in full by August 21 for a 10 percent discount.
Group Competition Guidelines:
Encore Ovation Challenge will feature the top groups from each participating studio battling for the ultimate title and $1000 cash prize. Each studio is invited to bring up to TWO duet/trios or group routines in each age division and compete for the title of “Encore Extreme Champion” on Saturday night.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Two entries per studio for each age division (Mini 5 and under, Petite 8 and under, Junior 9-11, Teen 12-14, and Senior 15-18). Ages are determined as of January 1, 2020.
- Duet/trios, small groups, large groups and super groups are welcome. (Productions are excluded.)
- All routines will be adjudicated based on entertainment value, technique, and overall appeal.
- One Top Group trophy and gift certificate will be announced for each age division (Mini, Petite, Junior, Teen, and Senior)
- One Overall Winner will be announced at the final awards on Sunday. The winning group will be crowned the “Encore Extreme Champion” and will receive $1000 Cash prize!
- Register online at encoredcs.com for online registration through your Dance Comp Genie account. Pay in full by August 21 for a 10 percent discount.
Categories and Acrobatic Tricks:
Performance Categories include: Tap, Jazz, Ballet, Pointe, Lyrical, Contemporary, Clogging, Song & Dance, Musical Theater, Character, Gymnastics, Folkloric, Baton, Pom Pom, Liturgical, Modern, Hip Hop, Vocal, Open, and AcroJazz.
Acrobatic Tricks: An acrobatic trick consists of a complete 360-degree rotation of the body with head inverted or a pass containing multiple gymnastic moves (excluding shoulder rolls.) Unlimited tricks are allowed only in Gymnastics, Character, Open, Pom Pom, Musical Theater, AcroJazz, Hip Hop, and Contemporary. All other categories are limited to 3 acrobatic tricks. Routines that contain more than 3 tricks will be automatically moved to the correct category. If multiple students perform the same trick at the same time, it only counts as ONE trick. All passes with multiple tricks are counted as ONE trick.
2020 ENCORE Extreme - Rules and Regulations
- All entries should be completed via online registration at www.encoredcs.com at least 28 days prior to the event. Registration is accepted on a first come first served basis and is limited to the amount of competition time available. Many events reach capacity well before the deadline and any entries exceeding the limit will be turned away.
- Payment by check can be mailed to 203 West Butler Street Lexington, SC 29072. Credit card payments are accepted online with a 2% service charge. Money orders are not accepted via postal mail.
- A 50% deposit of total entry fees must be received 28 days prior to the event. Full payment must be received at least 14 days prior to the competition date or a $10.00 late fee per entry will be added. A $25 fee will apply to all returned checks. Returned checks will automatically be turned over to an outside Collections Agency and/or the Solicitor’s office. Absolutely no personal checks for entry fees will be taken at the event and any unpaid entries will not be allowed to perform.
- No refunds of fees will be given after the deadline date. A credit for another regional competition, Grand Finals, or Encore Extreme will be issued to the studio in the event that a dancer is unable to perform.
- We do not accept independent entries. Independent dancers can register for Encore Extreme convention classes, but must be registered under a studio name if competing in the solo competition.
- Gift certificates and scholarships for Encore DCS and Encore Extreme are NOT interchangeable and can only be used at the event listed on your certificate.
- All Parents must sign a Waiver in order for their child to participate. This can be downloaded on the registration page of our website and should be submitted with payment two weeks prior to the event. An electronic waiver option is coming soon!
- Encore DCS reserves the right to change the number of competition days based on registration received and is not liable for refunds based on schedule changes.
- Dancers should be ready to compete at least ONE HOUR ahead of their scheduled performance time.
- Unless arranged ahead of time, a 5-point deduction will be made for any routines not performed within three numbers of the scheduled order.
- Music should be uploaded to the studio’s Dance Comp Genie account at least two days prior to the first day of the event. If unable to upload, music can also be submitted at the event on one Master CD or Flash Drive per studio. If using CD, a playlist listing the order of routines must be provided. If using a flash drive, please label each file with the entry number and song title. A backup form of music is always required. We recommend iPads, iPods, computers, or USB drives for backup and prefer not to use cell phones.
- Professionals or teachers are not allowed to participate in the competition portion of Encore Extreme. A professional is defined as any person 20 years of age or older who is or has ever been a teacher, assistant teacher, or professional dancer.
- Soloists may not compete against themselves in the same category. All other dancers in duet/trios, groups, and productions may enter as many categories as they wish as long as they do not compete against themselves in the exact same groups. (Soloists are limited to one solo at Encore Extreme conventions.)
- A 10-point deduction will be made for routines that are not completed. This applies to dancers that re-perform their routines after a false start unless the re-performance is caused by a technical error or other uncontrollable event not attributable to the dancer’s performance.
- Small, freestanding props are allowed but must be easily moved into the theater and on & off stage without disrupting the competition in progress. Fire, water, or excessive littering is not allowed on stage and any debris should be removed by the studio within 30 seconds following the routine. Human props are allowed, but any person on stage must be registered in the event and their age should be included in the average.
- No lighting changes are allowed at Encore Extreme.
- We at Encore DCS pride ourselves on running a family friendly competition. If every judge on the panel feels that a routine is inappropriate for the age a 10 point deduction will be made.
- Teachers and studio directors should bring any question or challenge of routines or rules to the attention of the Encore DCS director in charge prior to the respective awards ceremony.
- Encore DCS provides free livestream when possible. Please note that competition location and wireless signals affect our ability to provide this service. It’s important to let friends and family watching the competition know that the competition may run ahead of schedule.
- Photography and video recording is always prohibited! Videotaping and photography of any kind is not allowed in order to protect choreography and due to our contracts with professional videographers and photographers. Personal cameras, video cameras, and any other recording devices are prohibited in the auditorium.
- All dancers, teachers, and guests are expected to display good sportsmanlike conduct to all participants at all times. Encore DCS does not discriminate, but does reserve the right to refuse entrance to any competitor, spectator, studio, or individual that has been deemed to exhibit unsportsmanlike behavior.
- Only performers, teachers, and staff are allowed on stage before, during and after a competition.
- All awards and music should be picked up at the conclusion of the event and will not be mailed. All music may be picked up at the registration table by teachers or studio directors at the conclusion of Petite and Junior competition and again at the conclusion of Teen and Senior competition. Judges audio critiques and score sheets will be downloaded to Dance Comp Genie after the event and will be emailed to teachers within three days of the event. Score sheets and video critiques will be available in the studios Dance Comp Genie account.
- All teachers, parents and participants give Encore DCS the right to use their photo or video with any advertising or media campaign. By performing at Encore DCS events, all competitors consent to the use of photographs and/or video footage for promotional purposes, which may include social media and streaming of routines online.
- Gift certificates that are awarded to groups can only be redeemed for group entry fees at future Encore DCS events.
- Encore DCS and the hosting venue are not responsible for personal injury or property loss to either contestants or spectators. Performers in a dance competition are subject to risks which can include, but are not limited to sprains, pulled muscles and broken bones. Participation in Encore DCS events indicates the acceptance of these types of risks and participants and spectators agree that they will not hold Encore DCS, its officers, employees or staff responsible for injuries or illnesses contracted by them while in attendance of any Encore event.
- Rules and regulations are subject to change and are always available at www.encoredcs.com.
with the stars in 2020
Columbia Metro Convention Center
1101 Lincoln Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Three days of master classes in Jazz, Hip Hop, Contemporary, Tap, Ballet, Musical Theatre, and more! Also featuring workshops, classes and networking events for teachers AND Jazz Funk classes for parents!
Experience our exciting group competition with live judges’ feedback for all routines and a $1000 cash prize!
Compete for the title of Miss and Mister Encore Extreme! All soloists will receive a free headshot!
Caroline Lewis Jones
Caroline Lewis-Jones from South Carolina, has been dancing for over 28 years. At the age of 18 she moved to New York City where she performed for six years. Her credits include the VMA’s with NSYNC, the Latin Grammy Awards, WNBA National Commercial, a French Energy Commercial, Disney Industrials, Britany Spears and Madonna “Me Against the Music” video, MTV’s Body Rock Fitness Video, and more..
Beginning his teaching career at age 15, Nick Dinicolangelo has enjoyed over 2 decades of being one of the country’s premiere tap dance educators. Nick was a charter member and dance captain of the New Jersey Tap Ensemble, as well as an original member of Mike Minery's TAPAHOLICS. Currently, Nick is entering his 16th season on the Adrenaline Dance convention tour and feels blessed to travel to over 20 cities per year spreading his love and enthusiasm for tap dance..
Entertainment industry entrepreneur, award-winning choreographer and infectious educator, she is a born innovator. Constantly inspired to create new movement as owner and artistic director of CaRu Entertainment, Cassie's choreography is nationally recognized for its blend of fem funk, hip hop, and street jazz with constant emphasis and focus on self-confidence and bold performance artistry, and can be seen on the performance stage, on TV and film, and in master classes all over the country..
Brandon Girouard is a highly in-demand international choreographer, teacher and dancer – having brought audiences to their feet in Paris, London, Argentina, NYC and most recently Mexico. Known for “compelling, explosive movement”, Brandon has performed with dance companies such as dancetheatreX, Melanie Stewart Dance Theatre, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, Ailey 2, Koresh Dance, Plasma Dance Theatre, and for Bill Clinton’s Inaugural Presidency Gala..
Christopher Robbins is a born South Carolinian. A Member of Actors Equity Union, Chris has worked professionally in entertainment for over 24 years and his spectrum ranges from Singer, Dancer, Actor, Producer, Director, and Choreographer. Chris has worked with artists/choreographers such as Donny & Jimmy Osmond, Darius Rucker, Justin Timberlake, Kelly Rowland, Jennifer Holiday, Kristine W, The Pointer Sisters, Lee Greenwood, Caroline Lewis Jones, Gil Stroming, Adrienne Canterna..
Ashley Becker Payne hails from Buffalo, NY holding a B.A. in Dance Performance from the prestigious Point Park University. As an international adjudicator, professional dancer and choreographer, Ashley has studied and taught throughout New York City, Miami, and now Chicago. As a performer, Ashley has appeared in film, television, concert dance and theatre productions. Ashley’s first standout roll was in the University production of Contact where she was a featured dancer and served as dance captain..
Susan Hancock was born and raised in Columbia, South Carolina and began her ballet training at the Calvert-Brodie School of Dance. In 1989 Susan entered the School of American Ballet, the official school of the New York City Ballet and studied there for three consecutive summers. In 1992 she was invited to stay for the winter term, but instead decided upon North Carolina School of the Arts. From there Ms. Hancock went on to join The Los Angeles Classical Ballet in 1994..
Originally from Clearfield, PA, Trevor Sones Received a BA degree in Dance from Mercyhurst University. National Tour Credits: CATS, Beauty and the Beast. TV/Film Credits: ZIPS Dry Cleaners, The Knot, “Step Up 3D”, Good Morning America, “Do You Dance, Ms. Parker?”. Other credits include working extensively with Royal Caribbean in “Hairspray”, “MAMMA MIA” (Dance Captain), “GREASE” (Associate Choreographer), “Name That Tune” (Associate Choreographer), “Bada Bing Bada Boom” (Director)..
Ashley Moore started dancing at the age of three while growing up in South Florida and is highly trained in all styles of dance. She began her training in local studios and has had opportunities and support through many dance conventions and worldwide Competitions around the country with impeccable training by many influential teachers. Ashley is known for her Commercial and Stage work, but has been trained as a competitive dancer in all styles including Ballroom.
Charlene Chi-Chi Smith
Growing up in a place as culturally rich as the South Bronx, Charlene T. Smith’s upbringing was deeply rooted in the sounds of funk, soul, disco, gospel, hip hop, reggae and Latin music. It is difficult to be removed from such an abundant background and not take pieces of it with you, implanting them in everything you do and everywhere you go. As a teenager in suburban MD, Charlene became “Chi-Chi”, a moniker given to her by her cousin because of her city girl flair and (at the time) blatant South Bronx accent.
Encore DCS is proud to offer an amazing opportunity for elite dancers to be cast in a one-of-a-kind promotional video and become a member of the Encore DCS Dream Team!
Students were selected at Encore Extreme and this January each dancer was choreographed, staged and featured in a video to create a new advertising campaign for Encore DCS. This opportunity gives up and coming stars the chance to taste what the world of entertainment has to offer with a “dream job” experience.
Professional lighting, staging, make-up, choreography and directing are just some of the many facets of this experience! Our new video is choreographed by Christopher Robbins and Hiliarie Covington. The video features many styles of dance and is the perfect opportunity to showcase well rounded dancers.
Interested in becoming a member of the next Encore DCS Dream Team? “Shooting Star” tickets will be awarded at Grand Finals. This ticket will give select dancers a free convention fee at Encore Extreme and guarantees their spot on the Dream Team. The remaining Dream Team members will be chosen at Encore Extreme this fall. Don’t miss out on the “Dream Team” cutting edge experience only offered by Encore DCS!
Will be announced soon!
Congratulations to the 2019 Encore Extreme Dancers
Mister Encore Extreme
Coastal Performing Arts Academy
Miss Encore Extreme
Pat’s School of Arts
Senior Miss Encore Extreme